Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Planning for success

Working away on some training plans for a few very different clients today, and we’re thinking about the importance of considering the person behind the program. To pave the way for success, it’s crucial to think about them - what their fitness level is, what their workout preferences are, and what their schedule looks like. At the same time, the program needs to push them towards the next level so that they continue to improve.

The same can be said for your personal daily exercise plans. I try to follow the 3-1 rule – three hard days, one “easy” day. I put “easy” in quotation marks because that can mean different things – rest, strength, stretching, or a light run depending on how I feel. And, even when I’m in training for a race and only running during my three hard days, I need them to vary. So, I’ll work interval training, tempo runs, shorter runs at a 5K pace, and longer runs at my race pace into my schedule to mix it up.

Whether it's gym classes, outdoor runs, or the elliptical, you just need to choose what works for you, as long as your choices keep you interested and bring you out of your comfort zone without making you hit extremes. Visual examples below!

Avoid: Overdoing then undoing it!


Aim to: Find a balance, avoid extremes:


Peace, love, and happy running! ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment